[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Dec 5 06:18:01 UTC 2002

> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 08:43:11 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > So how do VST effects do it?  I can increase the delay feedback all I like and
> > it doesn't hiccup, stutter, or misbehave at all.  You're saying that this is
> > a non-rt control because it might have to realloc() buffers?
>
> Delay feedback is a RT control, delay time might not be (depending
> on how its implemented).
>
> I'm not sure how this can be handled easily, there are lots of
> things like loading samples that will be impossible to handle in an
> RT way, but I'm not sure that something like a sampler belongs in
> this kind of API. I know there are VSTi samplers, but windows people
> dont have jack.

This is actually a current problem with spiralsynthmodular, the sampler is rt
safe, except when loading/saving samples. I'm thinking that it's solvable by
using a async loader on a different thread that the plugin can poll. As long
as it does something sane until the sample is loaded (play silence) it should
be Ok.

At the moment, you get chucked off jack when loading large samples.

dave