[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sat Dec 7 19:25:01 UTC 2002

On Sunday 08 December 2002 01.02, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > > Why? What is it that LADSPA does that would be so complicated
> > > that an instrument API must not support it?
> >
> > Nothing, OAPI or whatever will be a superset I imagine, but that
> > implies that LADSPA will still be simpler.
>
> yeah, and I want to make it easy for an OAPI (I HATE that name -
> open to ideas..) host to use LADSPA plugins.  That is very
> important.

Of course. And there should be nothing preventing that. Unless I'm
missing something, the only really significant difference is that
LADSPA plugins don't have event ports, while "New API" plugins will.
You could probably even build a simple event->control semi-wrapper
into the host, to make LADSPA plugins fit in with minimal impact on
the rest of the host code. LADSPA plugins will then act just like
"New API" plugins that quantize timestamps to buffer boundaries. Or
you can have the semi-wrapper do full or quantized buffer splitting...