[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Dec 8 06:04:01 UTC 2002

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 09:00:46 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> Do we want to provide a suggested range of values for MIDI compatible
> controls.  For example Controls that are labelled CONTROL_AFTERTOUCH should
> expect values between 0 and 1.0, and the host can map MIDI onto that?  Or 0
> and 127, like MIDI?  or 0 and MAX_INT and let the synth blow up when you
> pass a VELOCITY of 10000, and it expects 127?

I think they should be normalised to [0,1], theres nothing special about
MIDI.

> I had been assuming a single event-queue per instance.  Two questions:  why
> would a plugin (assuming not multi-timbral for now) have more than one
> event-queue?  Assuming we do support multi-timbral synths, is there an
> advantage to having events per-channel event-queues?  Do you envision each
> Channel getting the ->run() method seperately, or does ->run() loop?  If it
> is looping anyway, is there an advantage to multiple event-queues?

If we support multi timbrality a the API level then there is no point
having multiple queues (I think), you can just have "timbre" and "voice"
values in the struct (wow, multi-timbral really makes no sense does it ;)

- Steve