[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Sun Dec 8 17:49:00 UTC 2002

On Sunday 08 December 2002 11.58, Steve Harris wrote:
> > I had been assuming a single event-queue per instance.  Two
> > questions:  why would a plugin (assuming not multi-timbral for
> > now) have more than one event-queue?  Assuming we do support
> > multi-timbral synths, is there an advantage to having events
> > per-channel event-queues?  Do you envision each Channel getting
> > the ->run() method seperately, or does ->run() loop?  If it is
> > looping anyway, is there an advantage to multiple event-queues?
>
> If we support multi timbrality a the API level then there is no
> point having multiple queues (I think), you can just have "timbre"
> and "voice" values in the struct (wow, multi-timbral really makes
> no sense does it ;)

Well, if you actually want to implement multicannel synths, all you
get with a single event queue is:

	* bigger events (more fields in the struct), and
	* lots of queue splitting/filtering overhead.
	* You also force senders to keep track of which
	  Channel to send events to, *as well* as which
	  Event Port.

Where's the advantage to make up for this?