[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 10:05:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 02:48:10PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > For an apregiate in 12 tne you just add 1/12 per semitone, not 1.0,
> > I dont think thats hard.
>
> Well, yes - but did you get the actual point; that linear pitch may
> not be all that useful to plugins that don't care about the details
> of your scales?

OK, I think I must be missing something.

I dont see how a plugin can usfully process and note information without
any explicit knowledge of the scale (execpt for some trivial cases, eg.
octave shift, 5ths), but those can be handled in linear pitch too.

I guess you can do something if its an equal tepmered scale, and you dont
know the note/octave division, but isn't that an unusual case?

Granted if you have some way of expressing scale information then note
data makes things easier, but we dont (AFAIK). It sounds like a hard
problem.

If you allow note data then you still have to provide some
mechanism/information for oscialtors to convert this back to a frequency,
and doesnt this nullify the point?

- Steve