[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 10:36:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 02:59:10PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> I dont see how a plugin can usfully process and note information without
> any explicit knowledge of the scale (execpt for some trivial cases, eg.
> octave shift, 5ths), but those can be handled in linear pitch too.

Just to make it clear, I would have the host provide a pitch->note number
and note number->pitch mapping functions (for the "current scale").

The note number would have no semantics.

That way things like oscillators, modualtors etc. still get to run
efficiently, and somewhat unusal cases like odd scaled arpegiators have a
slight overhead, but there is only one pitch format.

- Steve