[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Tue Dec 10 13:24:01 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>> nope, i meant dynamic updates on a realtime (lock-free)
>> code path; it's an interesting problem with, afaict, no
>> obviously elegant solutions.
>
>Argh! I was thinking of dumping the code and rebuilding (hopefully keeping
>the state). Doing it that way would be interesting, but much harder. Youd
>have to either use a lot of function calls or do some hard code relocation
>stuff I think.

yep, i was thinking about direct code generation (relocation
if you will) assuming it'd give the best execution speed. rt
modification of such constructs can easily set your thoughts
spinning for a few hours.

>No, I imagine it will be noticably slower, however I think CPU's are
>getting to the kind of power where its feasable to use it for real.

i have yet to notice a power increase in the local cpu. ;)

>The dynamic compiliation will win you some speed back.
>
>I dont think the implementation is really that hard, the UI would be the
>most complex part, as always. Its kindof a pipedream anyway, as none of us
>has enough free time to tackle it at the moment.

sigh, yes. i've been thinking about a simplistic dsp-only
scripting language for similar purposes lately, but concluded
that for the time being gcc producing dynamically reloaded
.so's would be the way to go (unfortunately saol produces
executables, hint ;).

tim