[linux-audio-dev] Plugin APIs (again)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 10 18:02:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 07:16:52 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> >Argh! I was thinking of dumping the code and rebuilding (hopefully keeping
> >the state). Doing it that way would be interesting, but much harder. Youd
> >have to either use a lot of function calls or do some hard code relocation
> >stuff I think.
>
> yep, i was thinking about direct code generation (relocation
> if you will) assuming it'd give the best execution speed. rt
> modification of such constructs can easily set your thoughts
> spinning for a few hours.

Yeah, that would be a cool project, but just really hard. I guess you
could look at the .s output, and... dammit I'm gonna be mentally
implementing this in my sleep now ;)

> >No, I imagine it will be noticably slower, however I think CPU's are
> >getting to the kind of power where its feasable to use it for real.
>
> i have yet to notice a power increase in the local cpu. ;)

Well I generally get hardware pushed in my direction by work, so it sort
of gradually gets faster without me really noticing :)

> sigh, yes. i've been thinking about a simplistic dsp-only
> scripting language for similar purposes lately, but concluded
> that for the time being gcc producing dynamically reloaded
> .so's would be the way to go (unfortunately saol produces
> executables, hint ;).

Yeah, saol .so's would rock. Some problem with global varaibles IIRC, I
think there might be an ELF hack to get round it but I never looked into
it too closely.

- Steve