[linux-audio-dev] XAP: Pitch control

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Dec 11 10:41:00 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 12.10, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 01:39:12 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > Anyway, given that a converter plugin instance can only ever be
> > called once per buffer, and could potentially handle multiple
> > channels, I'm sure it will be quite a bit faster than host
> > callbacks when it actually matters: when you're flooded with
> > events.
>
> Maybe. My objection to converters is more that they imply two
> parallel representations of frequency (in the broad sense of the
> word), which seems like a mistake.

They are not parallel. One actually *is* frequency, while the other
expresses pitch in relation to a scale.

It's like comparing inline code with calls through function pointers,
basically.

> I still maintain that your average DSP programmer is capable of
> multiplying an octave number by 12 to get a 12tET MIDI note number.
> Even a VST programmer ;)

Yes, but that's not the point. And 12tET is essentially irrelevant to
this discussion (now, even *I* say that! ;-) - it just happens to be
what most people use most of the time. (Or is it? I'm thinking that
there may be some rather significant cultures where this is not
true... Unless they're all brainwashed by our 12tET music, we may
eventually be outnumbered!)

> I said I was going to stop arguing this point! Oh well.

*hehe*