[linux-audio-dev] Re: 2.4.20 low-latency patch

Benno Senoner benno at gardena.net
Thu Dec 12 06:22:00 UTC 2002

Andrew Morton wrote:
>At http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/2.4.20-low-latency.patch.gz
>
>Very much in sustaining mode. It includes a fix for a livelock
>problem in fsync() from Stephen Tweedie.

Hi,
I have not currently the possibility to test this patch for the next 2-3
weeks but I'd be interested it this patch is able to cure the latency
problems of Red Hat 8.0.

I think Red Hat 8.0 is a nice desktop distro and thus it would be good
if we achieve low latencies it too.
While discussing about RH8 on the #lad channel on irc, Jussi L. told me
 that ext3 causes latency spikes during writes becauses of journal
commints etc, but according to him it seems that there are other latency
sources too (he said probably libc).
e.g. he tried a LL kernel on RH7.3 with reiserFS and it worked fine
while RH8.0 with reiserFS did cause latency peaks.

So my question is: does this patch fix latency problems on Red Hat 8.0 ?

cheers,
Benno

--
http://linuxsampler.sourceforge.net
Building a professional grade software sampler for Linux.