[linux-audio-dev] Blockless processing

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 12:47:00 UTC 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 08:57:19 -0800, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 04:06:46PM +0000, Nathaniel Virgo wrote:
> > I don't think a gui is necessary - just a little syntactic sugar would do.
> > After all, people have been using csound for years and it's semantically not
> > too different from this.

csound is much higher level, I guess once all the building blocks are
defined it would be more practical to build things in text only, but
making complex filters is hard work. You really dont want to build an FFT
that way either ;)

> Which reminds me to ask what I've been wondering all along
> about this discussion...
> What does your thingie do that sfront doesn't do?
> sfront compiles SAOL / SASL text files (describing a
> processing & synthesis network) down to C which
> compiles nicely with GCC.

SAOL is still block based AFAIK. This allows you to do some really neat
tricks with feedback, knowing that the latency is only one sample.

In principle you can run any system with a block size of 1, but the
performance will really suck. Maybe SAOL would be ok, anyone tried it?

> the basic idea is not new either... IIRC, Common Music
> does much the same thing starting from a lisp dialect.

Yes, but its lisp :)

- Steve