[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Wed Dec 18 12:04:14 UTC 2002

Steve Harris wrote:

>I would expect most people here are "musicians" to some degree. It'd be a
>pretty wierd thing to obsess about otherwise ;)

indeed. it seems there are few who have built a solid
theoretical foundation though, and that doesn't mean
western music theory only.

>> >I think fp arithmetics have more effect or accuracy than traditional
>> >ways of thinking about meters - but I must be wrong, then.
>>
>> they are simply not adequate in this context.
>
>In what way? Not expressive enough?

not expressive enough for fractions, for one thing.

>I have an aversion to expressing anything like this as an int, for both
>artistic and technical reasons.

for technical reasons, you should prefer int i think.

for artistic reasons, well you can't argue with that.

if you get a chance to, do some experiments with non-integral
organization of musical time. i'm dead certain you'll never
want to go there a second time.

tim