[linux-audio-dev] XAP: a polemic

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Dec 18 12:46:01 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 05:13:26 +0100, Tim Goetze wrote:
> >> they are simply not adequate in this context.
> >
> >In what way? Not expressive enough?
>
> not expressive enough for fractions, for one thing.

Well, float / float.

> >I have an aversion to expressing anything like this as an int, for both
> >artistic and technical reasons.
>
> for technical reasons, you should prefer int i think.

No, floats are more efficient to work with and its helpful to have as many
system types be the same as possible.

> if you get a chance to, do some experiments with non-integral
> organization of musical time. i'm dead certain you'll never
> want to go there a second time.

I have, many times in multi/vari rate sequencer modular systems, but not
in linear sequencer type software. There I just set 60bpm and arrange
things manually, with the aid of a calcuator. Ardour supports this quite
well IIRC, it has a meter neutral multi paste function and can snap to
adjacent regions.

I have also made some primitive experiemnts with SAOL and csound to make
multirate music. Its one of the reasons I wanted to learn them.

It also has (I belive) per route audio speed scaling, but I've never tried
that.

- Steve