[linux-audio-dev] anyone interested in porting a GPL'ed VST plugin?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Nov 5 10:57:00 UTC 2002

>Paul Davis wrote:
>> it shouldn't be *too* difficult ...
>
>Someone suggested LADSPA but I do not see an easy way to do it since  LADSPA
> does not support MIDI and this seems a VST2 instrument.

the core code of the plugin has nothing to do with MIDI. thats just a
control protocol for turning it on and off and changing what it
does. there is no justification for MIDI appearing anywhere in a
LADSPA plugin; there are several people on the vst-plugins list who
feel the same way about MIDI in VST ie. that the host should convert
all MIDI data to plugin parameter changes and use a non-MIDI API for
note on/note off etc.

several people on this list feel the same about MIDI in general: it
should not be at the core of any program at all.

>Does anyone remember if it is possibile to use the VST headers (unmodified)
> on Linux or is Steinberg against ?

You can't use them unmodified because they won't work. You can't
distribute the modifications. You could probably distribute a perl
program that edited them or possibly a diff, but the diff would
contain Steinberg's copyrighted material. They have said they will
accept a patch that makes them work on Linux. I just haven't had time
to gather up my VST stuff and send it to them. Its not hard.

--p