[linux-audio-dev] GUIless friendly applications

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Wed Nov 6 14:16:01 UTC 2002

Bill Allen <ballen at mail.serve.com> writes:

> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Mario Lang wrote:
>

>> The *.ams files looks textual to me, anyone experienced enough
>> with AMS able to comment on if it is remotely thinkable
>> to turn it into a alternatively-controllable-app?  Like
>> a simple socket interface to change controls?

[...]

> I would love to see a separation of the gui part from the synth part, but
> I'm not sure how to specify the connections between the two. I suppose one
> could name (or number as AMS does automatically) the elements in the
> circuit, then refer to those elements in the gui description that
> specifies the placement of the element on the screen.

I think that sounds like a very good way to do it.

> If you had that, you could have multiple gui layouts for a given
> circuit, plus the ability to specify patches strictly textually.

And you could easily add a simple cli which does nothing else than
list the available controls of the loaded patch, and offer set/get
operations to query and set those controls.

This mini-controller app could also do MIDI assignment, if you
add commands to assign MIDI CCs to certain controllers, you can
use it to load a midi-to-patch mapping file.  But that maybe
already works differently, I'm not too familiar with AMS.

--
CYa,
  Mario