[linux-audio-dev] spiced 12AX7, plots, clipper.so

Lamar Owen lamar.owen at wgcr.org
Sat Nov 9 20:20:01 UTC 2002

On Saturday 09 November 2002 10:29, Tim Goetze wrote:
> i'd appreciate it a lot if those of you who are more apt at
> EE and/or DSP take a look at the page and correct my deductions
> in public or private.

Two observations.  The asymetrical clipping may be partly responsible for the
'warm' sound associated with tube distortion.  Likewise, if you look closely,
you'll see the clipping has relatively rounded edges -- another point for
tubes, which by nature clip 'soft' like that.  The compression rate close to
the clip level isn't linear, but appears exponential.  Solid state devices
typically don't clip in that fashion, but do so in a much harder way.  Good
research, here.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio