[linux-audio-dev] Re: OSX

Bill Schottstaedt bil at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Nov 11 07:26:00 UTC 2002

> it's much easier to port from Un*x to OSX
> than vice versa.  A far greater number of
> *nix libraries have been ported from the *nix world to OSX than the
> other way around.  You can even run X windows
> on OSX

I think "OroboroSX", or some such name, is an X window manager
for OSX that makes X apps fit in with Mac apps so it's not
obvious which style is running.  Gtk and Motif have been ported,
so the GUI is not a big issue.  The audio side is still primitive,
but easy to use.  Porting Snd took a few days, mostly spent
chasing down dumb things like the -framework loader switch.
I'd say it took about the same effort overall as porting
to the Sun.