[linux-audio-dev] Gigasampler vs Halion PR war

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 11 10:21:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 09:48:37 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Do we know what Steinberg did about this, if anything?
>
> i suspect from what i'm learnt from my patent attorney friend that the
> "amount of data cached" issue that the Giga article dismissively
> refers to in reference to Halion is actually precisely what Steinberg
> did. they changed the parameters of the caching so that it no longer
> infringes on the exact terms of the patent. just my guess.

Yeah, I wonrdered if that was something to do with that, maybe also the
fact that it is variable size.

I understand that sometimes companies maintain libraries of defensive
patents on excessivly broad technologies, and use that to keep each other
at bay, and small companies out of the market. Kinda like neuclear weapons
of IP. Of course that sucks if you are a small group of Free Software
developers with no nuclear weapons, er, I mean patent library. ;)

- Steve