[linux-audio-dev] meterbridge 0.0.4

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Oct 7 08:36:01 UTC 2002

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 12:26:45 -0700, Tom wrote:
> > Uggh. There should be no special purpose taps IMHO.
>
> In the most generic sense, a tap is simply a read.  I would define your
> alternative drawing as a tap.

And I wouldn't, which is where the difference is.

> If Client A's input port is connected to only Client B's output port,
> then a meter client can effectively monitor A's input port by reading
> from B's output port.  Reading from an output port is allowed so no
> insert connection is necessary.  If A's input port is connected to B and

Right so you could regard these both as connecting to the input port.
When only A is connected to B, A's output and B's input are the same, and
when there is C outputting as well you want hte result of the input.

It doesn't need an extension to the API, you just have to be able to make
input -> input connections. I belive that makes more sense in an abstract
sense (eqivalent to wiring it that way in hardware) and internaly (reduced
complexity).

- Steve