[linux-audio-dev] meterbridge 0.0.4

Tom stillone at snowcrest.net
Mon Oct 7 13:17:00 UTC 2002

> It doesn't need an extension to the API, you just have to be able to make
> input -> input connections. I belive that makes more sense in an abstract
> sense (eqivalent to wiring it that way in hardware) and internaly (reduced
> complexity).

This will work if the powers that be agree to allow input -> input
connections.  If not, there is another way.  In a hardware mixer,
many-to-one connections always require a bus, which is nothing more than
a unity gain summing node.  Since jack performs unity gain summing for a
many-to-one connection, then the buffer that the sum is written to could
be redefined as a bus.  Then any client could read from the output port
of this bus.  I am not necessarily in favor of this, nor am I against
it.  I don't know enough about coding to have an opinion either way.
What I do know is that this approach preserves the output -> input
semantics.

Tom