[linux-audio-dev] Silence Detection

David Arney arney at saul.cis.upenn.edu
Thu Oct 17 14:59:01 UTC 2002

I work with a small community radio station, and since we're continually
strapped for cash we implement our studio-transmitter link by streaming
audio over a network. We use a variety of players and formats (mainly xmms
and realplayer), but all of them share a common problem. Despite our
process monitoring software, the stream occasionally goes silent. We would
like to find a way to detect when the output of the playback computer's
soundcard is silent- or at least quiet enough to count as such.

I was hoping that someone could give some quick hints or point me to a
tutorial on writing a plugin that could live between our playback app and
the sound device and monitor that stream of data. I think this would be
similar to a funky visualization plugin, but so far those have all been
specific to particular playback applications. I've played with ladspa
(which is awesome, BTW) and I've mucked about in the internals of kde's
arts but I haven't found a clean way of inserting this into the code.

thanks!
-Dave