[linux-audio-dev] Silence Detection

Taybin Rutkin trutkin at physics.clarku.edu
Thu Oct 17 15:35:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, David Arney wrote:

> I work with a small community radio station, and since we're continually
> strapped for cash we implement our studio-transmitter link by streaming
> audio over a network. We use a variety of players and formats (mainly xmms
> and realplayer), but all of them share a common problem. Despite our
> process monitoring software, the stream occasionally goes silent. We would
> like to find a way to detect when the output of the playback computer's
> soundcard is silent- or at least quiet enough to count as such.

Were you planning on using a noisegate algorithm?  I think you would have
to.  One common mistake people make is thinking that silence is going to
be all zeros.  But that's almost never the case when doing real work with
analog equipment.

I'm not sure where to find an algorithm for that, but Steve Harris has
many many open plugins at plugin.org.uk .

Taybin
--
http://www.piratesvsninjas.com