[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Oct 21 12:09:00 UTC 2002

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Richard Bown wrote:
>
>> On Monday 21 October 2002 13:29, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>

>>> Do a search on google for anything with music and recording in the
>>> search.
>>

>> Yikes.
>>

> I thought you might say that ;)
>

>>> If you would like to have your name or business on the list can you
>>> let me know. I will add a page to djcj.org.
>>

>> While I applaud your conviction - I still don't quite get it.  If
>> you're collecting names and buying advertising space does this now
>> make you an agency?  And if so will you be collecting commissions at
>> any point in the future?  And can you prove this?
>>

> I'm not interested in taking revenues from people who want to be listed.

Or did you mean "will I be asking people to donate money to help me
advertise"?

If that is the case I won't be asking for help with the google ad but
donations won't be turned away. I am asking people to contribute to a
larger fund specifically for advertising Linux Audio. I've already spent
  just over US$100 this year on the increased traffic from linking the
LAU guide directly into the alsa website.

I am in the process of writing up a full plan for how I see a community
sponsored fund working.

I feel that we are in a very important time right now which we can use
as a launching point for increasing peoples motivation to get involved
in Linux Audio. There are two major international events happening at
the moment that are getting the target audience to question the
established norms. We should be riding that wave as we have a really
good concept that answers many of the questions. Open Source.

I think many of the products are ready for people to use and especially
contribute to. The problem I see is that most people are not ready for
that because they have not been given the incentive to get involved.

it's been said many times before that another way we could add serious
clout to our image is having some high profile users.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're
kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol
and put_symbol I think we used to have..."
- Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem