[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Oct 21 21:29:01 UTC 2002

>So why, having studied the docs, am I completely stumped with jack?  It
>refuses to play.  I don't consider any solution based on a piece of software
>_I_ can't operate suitable for general use.

JACK *isn't* intended for general use, and i get tired of suggestions
that it should be. there are lots of people working on solutions for
"general use". JACK is intended for people who are serious about
audio. in particular, although it might work with crappy consumer
audio interfaces, its not intended to do so. if you can't run JACK at
all, you basically have a box that wouldn't run an ASIO device driver
under windows or macos. there's not much we can do about that except
to point you at kernel adjustments (like hdparm) and ask that you
check other mailing lists to see if your audio interface, video
interface, etc. are known to be horrible in some respect.

JACK is not yet finished, and it has some definite usability issues
that need to be resolved. but it is not, and i hope will never be
(primarily) a general purpose sound server.

alternatively, there might be a bug in JACK. perhaps you can help us
find it.

--p