[linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] hel p for a levelmeter]

STEFFL, ERIK (SBCSI) es6269 at sbc.com
Wed Oct 23 15:17:00 UTC 2002

  this is what's on the page:

Creative Labs | Soundblaster Live Platinum | EMU10K1 | Install | (4)[A][B]

  bottom of the page:

(4) Hardware mixing supported

NOTE: Just because an I/O is listed does NOT mean it is guaranteed to be
supported. Please check the mailing
list archives before making purchase decisions based on requirements for
IEC958 or ADAT I/O.

[A] IEC958 RCA Input
[B] IEC958 RCA Output

  which does not have a lot of informational value (I know what it does not
mean but what does it mean?) and it definitely does not imply there is a
problem of getting the docs to support certain functionality.

>  >  professional system or not, I would expect it to be
> capable running
>  >browser and mp3 player at the same time (even though I would not
> expect >this capability to be used in studio work).
>
> AFAIK this is possible if you use kde or gnome as your
> desktop and don't
> mind having artsd block the interface. Many other desktops
> support artsd

  ? it's not desktops but applications that need to support sound server.
you mean that the sound server is not installed as part of that dektop
environment?

> also but they are usually not installed by default. Hence
> anyone who can
>   install an alternative desktop should also be willing to
> get the sound
> server running if they desire that functionality. This has
> been the case
> for at least the past three years.

  yes, sound servers can be used with certain application, but what is
needed is something that supports ALL applications (or more precisely, that
is supported by all applications), or at least does not prevent other
applications from working (jack might turn out to be the solution - once
it's as good as planned it might become the only player in town)

	erik