[linux-audio-dev] [ann] unmatched - a LADSPA amp tone

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 05:43:00 UTC 2002

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:05:49 +0100, Lea Anthony wrote:
> Also, I must ask this, how much of the LAD stuff is designed with 32bit
> audio in mind? I ask because that's what I work in, then dither down to
> 16bit when mastering.

My code it is all at least 32bit internally (much is 64bit) and all the
I/O is 32bit. IMHO working with anything else on modern cpus is silly.

Dithering down can be done as the last step in a jack process (if you have
a 16bit card) and you have the choice of rectangular (crap, very fast)
triangular (OK, fast) or shaped w/ error feedback (expensive but good).

I strongly recommend some sort of dithering if you're monitoring or
recording offf a 16bit card. I'l commit some changes later today that make
it more efficient.

- Steve