[linux-audio-dev] Fwd: Opinions on running VST or DirectX plugins on Linux in real time

David Gerard Matthews dgm4+ at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 24 19:22:00 UTC 2002

Mark Knecht wrote:

>   Being that I'm just a user type, I actually don't understand why this
>sort of thing doesn't actually work.

I'm pretty much just a user too.  However, I'm pretty sure that ProTools
LE has a lot of
code that talks directly to the kernel.  Acid actually might be
feasible, seeing as people have
run on MacOS using Virtual PC.

>PTLE has it's own hardware. No one
>talks to it except Pro Tools.

Not true.  I've run Digital Performer, MSP, Peak, and a few other
programs on PTLE
hardware.  Unlike TDM, PTLE does all the DSP on the host CPU.  The
Digi001 isn't
all that different from any other audio interface on the market - it
just happens to
have good converters and a Digidesign label.

> I'd love to be able to run it, output Pro
>Tools audio on the ADAT interface, and pipe it digitally back into my RME
>running Ardour and other jack enable apps. That doesn't actually require the
>wine audio to become jack enabled.

No, what it would require is a Linux version of ProTools.  I don't think
that's going
to be forthcoming anytime soon.  Remember, these are the people who
resisted porting
their software to Windows for ages, and who to this day only support a
handful of
configurations.  They still haven't even released an OSX version!

> It just requires a speedy computer to run
>Pro Tools + whatever disk subsystem necessary to move PTLE audio.

PTLE audio is just a 32-bit .wav file, iirc.  I believe that that's the
reason
that 32-bit mono .wav files were the default on ardour.  If all you wanted
to do was use your PTLE hardware under Linux, (with ardour, for example),
all you would need would be an alsa drive for the h/w.  But that seems
completely
inconcievable at this point.