[linux-audio-dev] Fwd: Opinions on running VST or DirectX plugins on Linux in real time

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Fri Oct 25 10:15:02 UTC 2002

David,
   There seems to have been some confusion about what I was implying.
Mark
**********

Mark Knecht wrote:

>PTLE has it's own hardware. No one
>talks to it except Pro Tools.

Not true.  I've run Digital Performer, MSP, Peak, and a few other
programs on PTLE
hardware.  Unlike TDM, PTLE does all the DSP on the host CPU.  The
Digi001 isn't
all that different from any other audio interface on the market - it
just happens to
have good converters and a Digidesign label.

[MWK] David - I understand PTLE works with lots of Windows audio programs. I
only meant here that exactly like when I run Pro Tools under Windows, no
other audio program would be using the PTLE hardware at the same time. I
also run Acid Pro 4.0, Sound Forge & Logic using the PTLE hardware and the
Digi wave driver. It runs just fine. The is no ASIO or anything like that,
although there is apparently some sort of ASIO support coming for MBox.
Sorry for any confusion there.

> I'd love to be able to run it, output Pro
>Tools audio on the ADAT interface, and pipe it digitally back into my RME
>running Ardour and other jack enable apps. That doesn't actually require
the
>wine audio to become jack enabled.

No, what it would require is a Linux version of ProTools.

[MWK] Again, I think my point was not clear to you. The discussion started
about running Windows audio programs under Wine. At the far end of the
spectrum I joked that I'd like to be able to run PTLE under Wine. Windows
PTLE would be on the screen, using Linux for disk access and talking
directly to the PTLE hardware. If I could do this, (and I can't! And it was
a joke!) then I could send audio out of the ADAT interface on the PTLE
hardware, correct? (!!) If I could send audio on the PTLE ADAT interface, I
could receive it on my RME ADAT interfaces under Linux proper into Ardour or
Rosegarden. The audio linkage between PTLE and Linux would then be physical
ADAT cables, nothing more. (If PTLE 5.1.1 would run under Wine.) I've
already got that working, but it's on two computers.

Please remember - from my perspective this was all a joke anyway. (!!)