[linux-audio-dev] Viable multi-channel audio I/O boards for Linux ?

Greene, David L. greene at kmr.ll.mit.edu
Thu Oct 31 21:53:00 UTC 2002

linux-audio-dev'ers,

I am working in an Operations Center where we want to record 16-20 separate
analog audio voice nets/channels along with a few ethernet-based
display-data(not video) streams and play them all back individually,
selectively or all together for training purposes.

The audio nets are better than phone-quality, but not hi-fidelity and 22Khz
sampling should be sufficient. There are many turnkey voice-loggers and
pc-based "studio" applications but I need the audio recordings
closely-coupled with my own recordings of display-net data. I won't be doing
a lot of audio processing and would consider a higher rate system with
signal processing on board if it just works multi-channels well under Linux.

I suppose a multi-channel digital audio I/O board would be just fine as long
as I can get 16-20 analog channels converted up front. I am proposing
developing this application under Linux but need suggestions on the most
viable multi-channel audio in/out boards for use under Linux.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

Dave.