SysEx interface for softsynths [was Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and TiMidity++]

David Olofson david at gardena.net
Wed Sep 18 20:18:22 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 21.55, Richard Bown wrote:
[...]
> If we were going to the trouble of providing this kind of interface
> for the benefit of sequencers and softsynths it'd be nice to define
> (and perhaps extend) existing softsynth APIs such as the one that
> MuSE already employs perhaps?  Standardisation at the functional
> level and perhaps defining a draft API definition could prove a
> worthwhile interim exercise.

If it's going beyond the "grab patch names" level - which would make
it very cool and useful - I think it should be implemented as some
sort of binary "markup language", describing all controls and their
relations in the form of a tree or other structure. (Maybe just
nodelist style "object A affects object B", possibly with some simple
hint as to *how* A affects B; ie scale, offset, modulate etc...)

It's probably pretty hard to have a generic application deal with
Audiality scripts as anything but raw text, though... ;-)

Then again, that's just fine with me. I've never created real sounds
from scratch as quickly as with Audiality. The only feature I'm
missing is hitting F2 in cooledit (the *text* editor :-)
automatically making the synth reload and re-run the script. (I
actually did that once, sort of, by mmapping the file. It worked on
one machine, but on another, writing the file would not write the
memory buffer... *heh*)

//David

`---------------------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/maia/ -'