[linux-audio-dev] Re: SysEx interface for softsynths [was Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA and TiMidity++]

Josh Green jgreen at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 19 20:32:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 12:55, Richard Bown wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 September 2002 19:41, Josh Green wrote:
>
> > I wonder how one would go about creating such a standard? Would we
> > need to obtain a Manufacturer's ID for our SysEx standard? If we can
> > find an existing standard we could just use it (we would then be
> > using a companies ID). I see that a manufacturer's ID of 0x7D is
> > listed as "non-commercial" on one web site, and then another as
> > educational use only, not meant for use in distributed systems.
>
> Perhaps we could either approach a small company that has an ID already or
> reuse one that's pretty old and likely close to defunct (again with the
> owner's consent).  I wonder who controls their use or if it's a case of
> suck-it-and-see?

It appears to be controlled by the MIDI Manufacturers Association
(http://www.midi.org). I'm not sure I really like their policies, they
don't release much information openly on the net, you have to purchase
printed copies.

I didn't see a way to contact them via email, otherwise I would inquire
as to how to proceed in getting an ID. Perhaps if it does seem like that
is the best route, we would get an ID for LAD so we can all use it and
keep a public standard document somewhere.

I don't think it would make sense to try and piggy back off of an
existing manufacturer, since even if they are defunct, they probably
wouldn't want us trashing their defined SysEx messages. There is nothing
wrong with finding an existing defined standard though and using it
(according to one MIDI web site I saw).

> If we were going to the trouble of providing this kind of interface for
> the benefit of sequencers and softsynths it'd be nice to define (and
> perhaps extend) existing softsynth APIs such as the one that MuSE already
> employs perhaps?  Standardisation at the functional level and perhaps
> defining a draft API definition could prove a worthwhile interim exercise.

IIRC the softsynth in MuSE is iiwusynth. This seems silly to me
actually, since it can also be connected via the ALSA sequencer. I
suppose it doesn't really matter though, except that I have heard that
it hasn't been kept up to date with the stand alone version.

Cheers.
	Josh Green