[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Hosting

Nick Tsocanos nicktsocanos at charter.net
Thu Apr 17 12:15:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 08:18, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 07:19:48 -0400, Nick Tsocanos wrote:
> > > Cool :) Incase you haven't seen it I recommend by XML LADSPA build system,
> >
> > Point me to the URL.
>
> It comes free with the source ;) http://plugin.org.uk/
>
> - Steve

Oh hey Steve! Those are your plugins! Many of them are real cool. I LOVE
foldover distortion. I wanted to make one but couldn't find out how it
works. Reason has foldover distortion, so I studied the knobs on it and
tried to imagine the algorithm behind it.

I also love Giant Flange. That box is wacko!

How did you learn all those algorithms? Before I discovered these
plugins I was trying to make all my effects myself, but I can't find
enough information or examples to help me, or I find electrical
engineering mathematical documentation that takes me many weeks of
reading to understand (I'm just a humble A.A. grad). Before I moved to
Linux, on Windows, people make free VST plug-ins, but don't give you the
source code. I think that sucks, because I am in the dark on how it
works, and I am by a nature a person who wants to understand how things
work to the point I can modify them or make new things from them.

Thanks for all your plugins Steve! I plan to study them and experiment
with them if that's ok with you. I consider it a treasure trove that you
gave me the source code for free. If anything, you have one person who
is grateful for that.

Give a man a fish, he'll be a hungry again. Teach a man to fish, he will
eat for life.

I think LADSPA is perfect really. Try programming VST sometimes. It's
way to complicated and hard. LADSPA is really easy to use and make
plugins for. I can live with it's quirks.

The cool thing is with LADSPA I don't have to make these effects
algorithms anymore and can concentrate on the application now.Now when I
am ready to get into that DSP, I have plenty of things to study, and can
concentrate on them.

Appreciate it.