[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Hosting

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 14:46:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:06:12PM -0400, Nick Tsocanos wrote:
> Oh hey Steve! Those are your plugins! Many of them are real cool. I LOVE
> foldover distortion. I wanted to make one but couldn't find out how it
> works. Reason has foldover distortion, so I studied the knobs on it and
> tried to imagine the algorithm behind it.

It's very simple, just a polynomial sin aproximation used as a waveshaper.

> I also love Giant Flange. That box is wacko!

Good :) it was an accident, I was trying to implement the dj flanger from a
description and misunderstood. I left it in there as I'd allready built
it.

> How did you learn all those algorithms? Before I discovered these

Most of the tricks come from papers, but much of it is pretty obvious,
once you know the basics. Oh, and a lot of trial and error :/
The music-dsp mailing list is a good source of expert advice.

- Steve