[linux-audio-dev] Re: a little C++ guidance needed

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Thu Apr 17 12:21:00 UTC 2003

>>On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:22:40AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>>> Nick's advice to upgrade my compiler is timely (I'm using GCC 2.96 from
>>> RH 7.2) but unfortunately I can't make the switch right now. If there's
>>> an obvious (or non-obvious) solution to my dilemma I'd be happy to hear
>>> of it.

The redhat rpms work fine side by side. gcc3 is the default (/usr/bin/gcc). To
use 2.96, you have to change your Makefiles to CC=gcc296, or set the env var
and then just make. I've had no problem with executables from either compiler
finding the correct runtime libs.

The rpms are:
compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.110
gcc-3.2-7

They are from the redhat 8.0 distribution but my system is a mismash, 7.0
with many upgrades.

HTH