[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 3 18:49:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 02:52:54 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > 	* Process mode: Mixed/RT/Off-Line.
>
> do we really want anything like this?  I have a 1-10 'quality' level.

Not the same thing. I think offline processing allows seek, reverse etc.

> > > 	* Hosts assume all plugins to be in-place broken. Why?
> >
> > It doesn't really matter what the default is as long as you can override
> > it. That way is probably safer.
>
> Do we want to do this for XAP?  I'd kind of hoped that XAP would dictate
> that all plugins must be in-place safe.

Its very inconvienient for certain algorithms. The plugin doesn't know
ahead of time how big the buffer is going to be, so it cant prealoocate an
intermediate buffer.

> From: David Olofson <david at olofson.net>
> Instruments: have no inputs (in general) and overwrite output
> Effects with #ins = #outs: overwrite their output with:
> (input * dry) + (fx * wet).
>
> We can standardize a wet/dry gain control pair.  But this becomes something
> every plugin needs to provide.  Uggh.

Mix is not the same as wet/dry. Imagine you have an effect with an inherant
delay of 64 samples, the dry output is the input delayed by 64 samples.

- Steve