[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Mon Feb 3 19:17:01 UTC 2003

> > do we really want anything like this?  I have a 1-10 'quality' level.
>
> Not the same thing. I think offline processing allows seek, reverse etc.

I'm not convinced..

> > Do we want to do this for XAP?  I'd kind of hoped that XAP would dictate
> > that all plugins must be in-place safe.
>
> Its very inconvienient for certain algorithms. The plugin doesn't know
> ahead of time how big the buffer is going to be, so it cant prealoocate an
> intermediate buffer.

How does this affect in-place vs not in-place?  All that means is that the
input buffer is the same as the output buffer, no?  If the plugin has to
buffer, it has to buffer, regardless...I'm not a DSP head, so here is where
I may be missing stuff.

> > We can standardize a wet/dry gain control pair.  But this becomes something
> > every plugin needs to provide.  Uggh.
>
> Mix is not the same as wet/dry. Imagine you have an effect with an inherant
> delay of 64 samples, the dry output is the input delayed by 64 samples.

What does that have to do with mix/no mix?   maybe I am missing something,
again?

Like a piece of hardware, what comes out a port is entirely decided by the
plugin.  If it mixes in some dry signal, it probably has a wet/dry control.
Some may choose not to provide any dry signal at all.  What does mix mean
for them?

Tim