[linux-audio-dev] Question regarding Usb-midi and Midisport 2x2

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Feb 4 07:23:00 UTC 2003

Ivica Bukvic wrote:
> I am running MDK 9.0 and am trying to get Midisport 2x2 to hotplug. The
> problem is that if I use the ezusbmidi script (obviously coupled with
> the right firmware and hotplug stuff) the /var/log/messages definitely
> notes its successful recognition of the device and announces the last
> line echo that the firmware has been installed onto the device
> /proc/bus/usb/002/021 (or whatever number it gets assigned), yet the
> midisport remains dead.

After that, the device should be reset, which should result in disconnect
and "new device connected" messages. In theory, fxload does this
automatically.

Are you using the latest version of the hotplug scripts and fxload?

> I understand that the ezusbmidi script uses fxload to upload the
> firmware, but according to the syntax of the ezusbmidi script it sends
> the command in the following format:
>
> Fxload -I /path/to/firmware
>
> But this is not sufficient when you try just fxload by itself, it
> complains that it is missing the destination device (-D flag).

fxload can get the device path from the DEVICE environment variable which
is set by the kernel when running hotplug.

> OTOH, when I try ezusb2131 it works flawlessly (manually) but there is
> no automation script for it, so I know that everything loads properly,
> it is just that my fxload for some reason is not working properly.
>
> I tested my midi after using ezusb2131 and it does work (/dev/midi1).
>
> Now, I hacked the script for the ezusbmidi and it does hotplug, but it
> is an ugly hack and I am wondering what is wrong with this picture?

It works, so where's the problem? ;-)

> The computer tried also to load snd-usb-audio (why?), so I blacklisted
> that one as well.

The computer tried to load it because it's the driver for your device.
Are you really sure you want to blacklist it?

> Finally, even though the /var/log/messages mentions creating two pairs
> I/O ports (since it is Midisport 2x2) I only have one /dev/midi1 device
> hooked up I guess to the first 16 channels. Where are the other 16?

/dev/amidi1

HTH
Clemens