[linux-audio-dev] newest audio server for Linux (yep, yet another)

Josh Haberman joshua at haberman.com
Tue Feb 4 23:30:00 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 18:03, David Olofson wrote:
> Would be cool if even more platforms were supported, but OTOH, in the
> case of Audiality, that's mostly for games that use it as a sound
> engine - and SDL works fine for that.

What platforms are not supported that you would like to see?  There is a
list of currently supported platforms at
<http://www.portaudio.com/status.html>

> OTOH, I'll need a nice replacement for the ALSA sequencer, if the
> thing is to be usable for anything but music and SFX playback on
> other platforms. Currently, the most "portable" control API I have is
> OSS rawmidi... *heh*

I know practically nothing about MIDI.  I would encourage you to
investigate PortMIDI and see if it would suit your needs.  I'm curious
to know, since I know basically nothing about it.  It appears to have an
ALSA implementation, but I have no idea how complete or usable it is.
<http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/project/music/web/portmusic/>

> .- The Return of Audiality! --------------------------------.

I always read "Audiality" as "Audacity."  The names are too similar. :-)

Josh