[linux-audio-dev] PTAF link and comments

Laurent de Soras [Ohm Force] laurent at ohmforce.com
Thu Feb 6 16:38:00 UTC 2003

Steve Harris wrote:

> seems to be a siuggestion in the PTAF document that host may have to be
> responsibe for killing denormal numbers anyway, so they will have to snoop
> controls in that case.

More exactly, there are properties telling the host if :

- Plug-in accepts denormalized incoming audio stream
without cpu load penalty.
- Plug-in doesn't output denormal numbers in audio stream,
or just a few.

This gives the host hints to properly place denormal killers,
if needed.

About silent buffers, I will probably add to PTAF a third,
intermediate buffer state, marking it as "virtually silent
but actually full of garbage". Encapsulated at a higher
level, it becomes the "defered zeroing" concept, seen in
the DXi2 API. It can improve a bit the CPU load dedicated
to audio routing.

-- Laurent