[linux-audio-dev] Call for participation: MMA GMPI working group

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Tue Feb 11 15:03:00 UTC 2003

> Some sort of (seperate, technical) statement from the l-a-d community
> about what features we'd like is probably a good idea too. We have more
> experiences in some areas than the closed plugin systems, eg. plugins as
> modular synth modules, natural ranges*, seperating UIs from DSP code** and
> metadata.

Yes - rather than flood with duplicate requests.

My immediate thoughts:

* Implementable in C, not C++
* Agnostic about multiple inputs/outputs
* Event driven
* No MIDI legacy, but able to automagically connect MIDI hints
* Named audio ports (Left, Right, etc) for clever connections between plugins
* Native support/hints for control types
  - Float/Int
  - Boolean
  - Enum
  - String
* Arbitrary per-voice continuous controls
* Some way to seek into long samples (optional for plugins to support)
* Mono float buffers