[linux-audio-dev] Re: why is no-one responding are you all just a bunch of &*^%&^%^& wits???

Vincent Touquet vincent.touquet at pandora.be
Wed Feb 12 13:15:00 UTC 2003

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:33:24PM -0500, Ivica Bukvic wrote:
>Do I/we have at least your permission (if we do manage to compile out of
>CVS) to redistribute my/our compiled version?

I think this is covered by section 6 in the GPL:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

6.  Each time you redistribute the Program (or any work based on the
Program), the recipient automatically receives a license from the
original licensor to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to
these terms and conditions. You may not impose any further restrictions
on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein. You are not
responsible for enforcing compliance by third parties to this License.

So you can distribute your compiled version, if you don't hold back the
sources of course (terms and conditions of the GPL).

It just boils down to the fact that people who get hold of a binary will
find an email address in the about box and complain for any bugs.
Personally, I'd respect the wish of the author not to redistribute the
binary, till he is confident about it and at the point at which it is
_possible_ to support the binary (its sufficiently stable).

Yet, we are a free world.
The legals are clear, morality is up to ourselves.

regards,