[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA proposal for named values

Pascal Haakmat a.haakmat at chello.nl
Sat Jan 4 08:58:01 UTC 2003

04/01/03 12:23, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 09:51:20 +0100, Pascal Haakmat wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It appears as though LADSPA at the moment lacks a means to provide
> > names for control values (this topic has probably crossed the list
> > before so I'll try to keep it short).
>
> My RDF plugin schema can represent this, eg. from sample.rdf

<snip>

> It could be less verbose, but this is the long form of it, which I think
> is clearest.
>
> However no hosts can read RDF yet. http://plugin.org.uk/lrdf/ for code.
> It can also do a number of other metadata tasks incuding categorisation.
> I think its better to solve all these problems at once.

But it is not solving the problems:

1. The PortName still needs to describe the possible values for non
RDF-capable hosts.

2. The host still needs to know what part of the PortName it may
suppress.

My proposal loses us nothing: because plugin authors need to use the
PortName field to describe port values _anyway_ (to aid non
RDF-capable hosts) it makes sense to agree on a best way to do it.

Pascal.