[linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

David Olofson david at olofson.net
Wed Jan 8 17:41:00 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 22.25, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 09:36:08 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > For implementational reasons, I'm claiming that it makes a lot of
> > sense to assume that synths know what to do when they receive the
> > first event to a VVID that doesn't have a voice. I don't see why
> > the case "this VVID has no voice" should be something that the
> > host/sender *has* to worry about. (Especially since the whole
> > concept is irrelevant to monophonic synths. These will ignore
> > VVIDs anyway.)
>
> But the instrument has to be able to tell control changes to stolen
> voices from control changes for a new voice from a voice that
> should replace the new voice in the same id (like with midi's
> pitch=id).
>
> Its easier if it doesn't have to keep track of which are which.

Well, instead of NULLing VVID entries for stolen voices, connect them
to a dummy voice.

Another alternative (which is looking more and more attractive to me)
is to use 'int' instead of 'void *' for VVID entries. Then you can
just use one value (-1) for "no voice" and another (-2) for "dead
VVID". Other values would be physical voice indices or whatever fits
the implementation.

(Well, you *can* do that by pointing VVID entries at various objects
that are not voices, and check the pointers, but that's not too
sexy... :-)