[linux-audio-dev] more on XAP Virtual Voice ID system

Tim Hockin thockin at hockin.org
Wed Jan 8 19:06:01 UTC 2003

> Another alternative (which is looking more and more attractive to me)
> is to use 'int' instead of 'void *' for VVID entries. Then you can
> just use one value (-1) for "no voice" and another (-2) for "dead
> VVID". Other values would be physical voice indices or whatever fits
> the implementation.

It's attractive to use special values for meanings.  The plugin could tell
the host that a VVID is done by setting it to a value.  Same for errors.

How is this different from a plugin sending event back to the host?  And
what of remote plugins?  Do they have shared-memory access to the VVID table
or is it function-call based?

Tim