[linux-audio-dev] (fwd) Unified Audio Plugin Architecture (Meeting)

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 07:24:00 UTC 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:49:19 +0100, Sebastien Metrot wrote:
> Commercial Software vendor tend to look for pratical solutions for the
> problems at hand (even if sometimes it makes them really overlook some
> technical and political point). I would be astonished to see Steinberg
> Emagic Digidesign Cakewalk and the others agree on a solution that doesn't
> solves this issue. Of course the technical problems posed by the way XWindow
> handles it event loop could very well get linux lagging behind which is a
> pitty IMHO. Is there anybody here that can touch the XWindow/XFree people
> and start to look at the problem? I'm surprised the Gimp people haven't
> encoutered this problem already.

Well the gimp people all use the Gimp Tool Kit ;)

Its not an insurmountable problem, becasue a generic UI library would most
likely me somewwhat like libvstgui, which defines an API that pligins use
to provide controls (in theory). There is an implemntation of libvstgui
for IRIX + X Windows, targeted against Motif. Its 'just' a case of
implemting the API in your hosts toolkit and providing that to the plugin.

- Steve