[linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: Re: Sidechains, was Re: [linux-audio-announce] [ANN] swh-plugins 0.3.4]

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Fri Jan 10 05:33:03 UTC 2003

Out of order forwarding... This should have gone to the list also...

Hi,

 >>* I don't know if other types of plugins are applicable to this, but
 >>  since the sidechain is a separate plugin you could make _any_ plugin
 >>  sidechain aware. mmmm audio controlled room-size  for reverbs...mmmm
 >>  :-D.
 >

 > Ahh, theres a misundersantding about what sidechains do here, they really
 > are just an audio stream.

Hmmm, how do you recon? A sidechain for a compressor may be an audio
stream, but it's the "control" behaviour of that stream that is of
interest, right? That should mean that it would be possible to extract
just the behaviour and only distribute "that".

But I may very well be misunderstanding, this is mostly theory for me, I
haven't had much real practice with this kind of stuff.

 >>Top priority is a LADSPA stereo delay, I couldn't find one in Steves
 >>collection.
 >>But it would also be nice with:
 >>- stereo autopanner
 >>- auto sweeping filters.
 >>Apologies if these infact are available and it's just my poor eyesight.
 >

 > What do you want from a stereo delay? There is an left-centre-right
delay,
 > but thats actually a mono delay that takes stereo input and pans the
 > result. A stereo delay would be easy to implemnt, what controls do you
 > want?

An example:
Recording a guitar in mono (Sounds dull). Easy way to make it more
lively is to add an stereo effect, delay is my preference.
For the above example a mono-->stereo plug would suffice, but
stereo-->stereo is more versatile. Muse handles the mono->stereo
conversion internally.

As for parameters I'd like separate delays for left and right, apart
from that I'm open for suggestions... I'm no pro, I learn as I try :).

 > There is an auto-phaser (sweeping allpass filter), but no auto wah
 > (sweeping bandpass), or auto panner, true. I tend to build things like
 > that out of SSM or pd. But there should be complete plugins.

Ya, working mostly in MusE I'm somewhat limited in the number of
solutions I can try. Currently MusE only supports basic features (pretty
much modeled after Cubase).

/Robert