[linux-audio-dev] MMA memebership [was XAP: Some thoughts on control ramping]

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Jan 23 08:52:00 UTC 2003

> > digidesign, we had the whole group in that room. i used to have
> > friends who could have bought most of the companies represented there
> > out of their own personal accounts :)) people planning on getting rich
> > in this field are out of their minds.
>
>In this context it's seems a little ridiculous that the MMA is requiring
>members of the mailing list to sign on with $450.

i did NOT say that. membership of the MMA is *NOT* required for
participation in the proposed public stages of the process or the
mailing list.

>I get the impression that the forces involved in making this happen (Ron
>Kruper and other lurkers may want to speak up here) are missing the
>point of open source development. Sure it was ok to do what you seem to

do not make the mistake of trying to second guess ron or anyone else
involved in this process. they know about open source. they know about
unix/linux. they know about standards. do not imagine that you know
what these people are like or what their backgrounds are. that would a
serious error and a serious discourtesy.

>If you want an example of this paradigm working in an audio context you
>only need to look at the port-audio project. If you want to see the
>power of the Linux Audio Developers then the best example is JACK. We
>have created a protocol that neither M$ or Mac developers can provide a
>better option.

JACK is no better, and arguably less complete, than AudioUnits,
although its true that AU requires an in-process model.

--p