[linux-audio-dev] Linux Audio Hardware Selection

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 24 13:06:00 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:27:12 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> not at all. it would allow programs to be run with no context switch
> overhead if they are started alone without jackd, which would be
> rather nice. we need to get in-process clients done first, though.

Agreed and agreed.

> >(btw, why jackd doesn't read /etc/jackrc or ~/.jackrc ?)
>
> because that means we have a config file, which means we need a config
> file parser, which means we need to replicate a bunch of code or link
> against another library. if jackd was a commonly executed command for
> users, i could justify that. as it is, i can't.

What about having a simple config file that is just a set of default
options, eg. /root/.jackrc:
-R -d alsa -d Hammerfall -r 44100 -p 256

Then this can be chopped up and prepended to argv[] before being thrown at
the argv parser.

It doesn't work as well as it might because of the -d thing (so you cant
override the driver easily), but you can still override the rate, number
of periods etc.

- Steve