[linux-audio-dev] Happy about MADI

Tom stillone at snowcrest.net
Sun Jan 26 16:34:00 UTC 2003

I just noticed the announcement from RME about their Hammerfall DSP MADI
PCI card.  From the announcement:

"MADI, the professionals' multichannel audio interface, offers 64
channels of 24 bit audio at a sample rate of up to 48 kHz and 32
channels at up to 96 kHz. Transmission is done via a single line, either
coaxial with BNC plugs or with fibre cable. In both cases more than 100
m cable length can be achieved. Hammerfall DSP is fully compatible to
all devices with MADI interface."

This will make seriously high end gear available for use with standard
PC's.  As ardour nears readiness, I have been contemplating a total
upgrade of my recording gear but I don't like the idea of Toslink in
general (short cable length), or adat optical in particular (high
jitter), but I do like the idea of optical coupling of audio gear to
computer gear (cleaner electricity for the audio gear).  I'm glad I
waited.  Availability is predicted to be within the next 6 months.  Now
if manufacturers of reasonably priced a/d converters can offer something
with a MADI interface within the next 6 months...

Tom