[linux-audio-dev] Simple reverbs

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 28 12:41:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:58:42 +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > You have to be careful because some of this stuff is covered by the
> > Karplus/Stanford/Yamaha patents. IIRC non commercial use is
> > allowed.
>
> Damn. That means I can't have a reverb in an LGPLed engine, or are
> there other, useful ways of doing it? I mean, how would one go about
> *not* doing it with feedback delay lines in roughly one of the
> configurations covered by the patents...?

There are configurations not covered by the Patents, I think. You'd have
to check. I'm pretty sure your current configuration is not covered, but
some of the obvious ways to improve it probably are (obviously ;).

> Reinventing this without having seen these designs hardly helped, as I
> ended up with the same design anyway. This reminds all too much of
> this direct-from-disk sampler thing...

Yes, the pysical model/waveguide paptents have received some criticism,
I'm not in a position to judge wether they are appropriate or not though.

- Steve